Friday, April 06, 2007

On Suffering

"It is a strange and terrible perversion of the gospel to say that since Jesus suffered for me, therefore I don't have to suffer—I can be comfortable and prosperous. The stumbling block of the cross is removed if we say he became homeless that I might have the finest of houses. He was rejected by men that I might be admired among men. He lived in poverty that I might live in luxury. He endured suffering that I might enjoy ease. Jesus taught just the opposite: "If any man would come after me, let him take up his cross daily and follow me." If we suffer with him, we shall be glorified with him (Romans 8:17). Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example that you should follow in his steps (1 Peter 2:21)." - From Into Thy Hands I Commit My Spirit, a Good Friday meditation by John Piper.

2 comments:

Lord Veritas said...

That is such a spot on comment by Piper. So many people think that they are entitled to be rich and prosperous and want it all now. The daily death to self and following Christ seems to have been thrown out the window with the influx of the prosperity non-gospel. May we all consider these verses more often.

vandorsten said...

I agree with V.