Monday, August 22, 2005

Reflections After a Week of Fatherhood

I've been an officially practicing Dad for a little over a week now. Here are some thoughts and things I've learned so far.
  • The birthing process is an incredible paradox. It's the only experience I can think of that I've simultaneously wanted to throw up and shout for joy at the exact same time. On one hand, it is just plain gross... but watching new life come into the world is nothing short of awesome.
  • Babies are strong. This lil' fella is seriously tough. Bounce 'em, toss 'em, swing 'em - they just keep on keepin' on. Not to mention the 17-hour trip down the birth canal and the trauma of learning to breathe air.
  • I am weak. It's amazing how helpless and even fragile I sometimes feel when helping take care of my son. Truly "God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong ... that no one could boast in the presence of God."
  • Apparently babies have uncharted hypnotic powers. You can stare for hours and not even realize it.
  • When driving in the car with a baby, every bump and pothole suddenly becomes a gaping chasm. You also assume any other vehicle going over 25mph is being driven by a raging maniac.
  • My wife is tired, wired, and more than a little moody. She's stretched out and sore in places she doesn't want to mention. She is more beautiful than ever.
  • Turns out nobody's really kidding about that whole "no sleep" thing.
Just some initial thoughts as I walk through the first few steps of fatherhood...

2 comments:

Kevin D. Hendricks said...

Good observations, and congrats on fatherhood. I checked out your blog after seeing your comment on Church Marketing Sucks. My wife and I are expecting our first child in January, and I imagine I'll be in for a similar schooling.

vandorsten said...

Ugh. Muconium. *Shudder*

What I can't figure out is why they give such an eloquent name to poo.

Another point I didn't put on this blog is that you seem to talk about poo contantly. Color, consistancy, frequency, smell, etc. It's crazy.