Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Invisible Children Revisited

After watching the film Invisible Children at 7.24 (see last post), a friend and I were discussing our reactions. The documentary ends with several suggestions as to how to help the situation in Uganda. Although we both agreed that something should be done - must be done - we shared a frustrating sense of helplessness. After all, what does throwing a couple bucks at a national civil war really accomplish? You could even go there for a week or a month a year - but would that really change anything? Really? I left that night feeling useless.

It wasn't until the next day that the Lord reminded me of loaves and fish. You know the account - thousands of people fed by a couple loaves of bread and a few fish. What looked like an impossibility became reality in the hands of Jesus.

I was reminded of a well-known quote from Edward Everett Hale, a chaplain in the U.S. Senate in 1903; "I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do."

So maybe I'll buy a video or a bracelet or write a check. I only have a few loaves and a couple fish. But it'll make a difference in Christ's hands.

2 comments:

heyirishman said...

Van Diesel,

I had the same reaction. However, I do believe that a fast will move God. There are a lot of people out there would would be willing to fast for this cause. If we try to take on just some of what these poor children are suffering for just one day, I bet you that God will see and be pleased. I also had the idea of organizing a fast via the internet. For example, if you email your friends, and they email their friends, and so on, I will do the same. And we can all set a date and then do our best. If Jesus asks us to follow after His example, why don't we just suffer with those who suffer, as Paul says? Sure we can donate money, but we can do more. We have to be able to do more. Are you interested in doing this?

heyirishman

van.diesel said...

Irish,

I would love to - great idea. Fast and pray - why didn't i think of that? LOL

let's set a date. if you want to reach me offline, shoot me an email at jasonvandorsten@restonbible.org